9.26.2004

Shawshank Redemption

I am watching the Shawshank Redemption. I have a love-hate relationship with this movie. This is the only the second time I have watched it. First time was for my Writing for media class. I was in a room full of media majors. most had already seen it. I was not ready for it. I cried and hoped no one would notice (from the first night in the prison when the fat guy got beat to death until the end when "Hope is the best thing"). I don't do violence or blood, that is where the hate comes in. When that guy got shot, I almost passed out, I was just not expecting it. at all. and I didn't sleep well for a week.
so why, you may ask, am I watching it now. becasue I do enjoy an excellent story and that's where the love comes in. the way it's shaped, crafted. the foreshadowing, the subtleties of the story line, the way the characters are developed. I wish I could do that. I want to learn how. and so I watch to see how Stephen King and Frank Darabont did it. Because I want to do that. but I want to show real people. people doing real things. people really changing their worlds